Grace To You

Grace to you and peace from God our father and the Lord Jesus Christ. Phil 1:2

Thursday, June 9, 2011

Should Christians Love Muslims?

I did read history books and strayed into some self-help books on a variety of topics and some science books and magazines to keep abreast of current thought in those fields. And I’d read about the odd topic or a novel here and there, but really my life is Bible based and everything is filtered through that reliable lens.

The last few years I have broadened my subject matter into the political realm and have begun to study current issues trying to understand how we got into the mess we are in and where we are headed in the natural as well as the spiritual realm.

Writing my blog has exposed me to other blogs and I’ve gotten into some “heavy” conversations about current events and even the fundamental doctrines of the Christian faith. I’ve found the exchanges challenging at times because I love to get along with everyone. I would much rather be agreeable than contrarian, but the defense of truth is like a fire in my bones.  However, I do realize we are to speak the truth in love and I try.

All of that brings me to what’s been on my mind lately. I’ve read lots of material about Islam and that information can have an inflammatory effect if one does not guard the heart with great diligence as Proverbs instructs us to.

As a lover of God and His Chosen People, the Israelites, it’s easy to lean toward siding with Israel against the Arabs. In fact, it seems to be the natural response. But, as Christians, our response isn’t supposed to be the natural one!

Jesus told us to love our enemies. He said to pray for our enemies. He said to feed our enemies and to give them a cup of cool water in His name. We are certainly to share the good news with our enemies as we have opportunity.

Does this mean we can’t support the Jews? Not at all! We are to love all our “neighbors” and do good to all of them, regardless of their ethnicity, color, language or creed! We can actually love Jews and Arabs at the same time. And we don't have to put our minds in neutral when dealing with current and historical facts.

Even though we see Muslims going on murderous rampages in the streets, and even when we hear of the bombings and destruction caused by their misguided Jihad activities, we are to love them for Christ’s sake. Their eternal souls are at stake!

Islam is a tyrannical and expansionistic political/religious regime. Most Muslims were born under its teachings and control. Many others live in lands that were conquered and forced into submission to the laws of Islam. For most Muslims, their religious affiliation is not by choice. The majority of Muslims are illiterate and have never even read the Quran. They are taught to hate non-Muslims and engage in Jihad by extremist Imams.

Why am I going here? I’m going here because so many things seek to divide us. It’s so easy to distrust, misunderstand and reject those who look, act and speak differently than we do. This behavior leads to hatred. I’m reminding myself and I’m reminding you that we haven’t “walked a mile” in the other man’s shoes and we should not judge. We are called to share God’s love with everyone we come into contact with.

The media seeks to distract us away from the truth and to distort reality. Our human nature tends toward blaming the nearest scapegoat for our troubles. Only the Bible instucts us with the uncompromised truth. Paul tells us who the real enemy is.

For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.   Eph 6:12 NIV

There has never been a time when recognizing the truth about our enemy is more critical to our spirirtual well-being. We must be alert and aware to survive these perilous times.

Jesus is coming soon. The signs of the times are becoming clearer by the day. It is high time for the church to “Repent and do the first works.” It’s time to return to our first love when it was easy to love everybody! And, because of our hope in soon becoming like Him, it’s time to “purify” ourselves as “He is pure.” 1 John 3:3

“Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.” Matt 7:21 NIV

                        The Judge is at the door! That which we do, we must do quickly.

                                        JESUS LOVES YOU and MUSLIMS TOO!

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad you posted this. My view point changed when I quit looking from a mans point of view and started looking at God's point of view through His word. God sent us to Turkey for 3 and 1/2 years. I loved the country and the people. I got to see from both views where each has gone wrong. I saw people in the name of Christianity commit acts of terrorism, which made it no better than what we accuse the Muslims of. America has indeed been fortunate. I wish every American Christian had to do a mission trip for one year in a foreign country that was not Christian based. I came back with more of a conviction and belief that my faith was true. I also learned to be accepting of differences in others. God gives us the right to chose. God does not send one to hell, one sends themselves to hell when they made their choice. In the mean time, we are to bwe an example of God to those around us. As God is Love, Mercy, Grace....We should be exercising those traits in our lives daily! One does not have to accept the sin to love the sinner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for commenting. I enjoy knowing what readers are thinking. It sounds like your time in Turkey was well spent. God meant it for good and you reaped the benefits by responding appropriately. Wonderful! May your light shine bright. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete