Grace To You

Grace to you and peace from God our father and the Lord Jesus Christ. Phil 1:2

Monday, March 14, 2011

Response to "Message In The Movie" Comment

I received a comment concerning my blog called Message in the Movie. It was dealing with the Shyamalan movie, The Sixth Sense. The commenter's concerns are listed below and my response follows.

A Christian shouldn't watch such movies.
It sounds demonic.
God doesn't speak to us through movies.
God speaks through His Word and the Holy Spirit.

"Thank you for your comment. I understand where you are coming from. This movie has been out for many years and I had never seen it until recently because I had no desire to. But, as I said, I watched it with someone who wanted to see it and was surprised by the message I found in it. 

I’m glad you have high standards for your viewing. I’m very particular myself. I’m not attracted to the dark side for entertainment because I don’t find it entertaining. However, in this case, I didn’t think a Shyamalan movie would be extreme. I wasn’t sure what to expect and I did find a spiritual message in the movie. I stand by that. There are spiritually dead people all around us who do not recognize that they are spiritually dead and do not, therefore, see the spiritually dead people all around them. This is sad. It’s even sadder that Christians often fail to see the spiritually dead people all around them and miss opportunities to minister to them.

Movies are messages. A movie was never made that didn’t attempt to convey “something” to the audience who viewed it. But, what we get out of a movie depends on what we bring to it. I’m sure most of the people who watched The Sixth Sense did so for entertainment purposes only and didn’t analyze what they got out of it. I, however, never watch or read anything without thinking about the message being conveyed. That’s why I am not attracted to the dark side. I don’t like their messages. I’m also not attracted to most of what passes for entertainment today because, again, the messages aren’t usually godly. The “angel of light” movies probably have a more insidious affect on people because they are affected unawares. Their morals are eroded in a subtle way view after view.

The Holy Spirit is engaged in our lives and speaks to us about all the activities we engage in. If we are listening, He leads us into all truth. Some of that instruction tells us what to avoid! I’m glad you are sensitive to that guidance in your life. I try to be as well.

Thank you again for your comment."

I decided to turn my response into a post because these concerns are legitimate and deserved an answer. I think this is a healthy dialogue and this may help shed further light on this topic for others who may have comments or questions but didn't share them.

Please feel free to express your interests, concerns or questions about any of my blogs. I would appreciate the feedback.

Thank you and God Bless!

2 comments:

  1. I guess I am one of the less than spiritual like you my sister. God routinely speaks to me through movies. In fact there are times the Holy Spirit will say "go see this" and it turns out to be a major confirmation. If one is open to it, God will speak to us through just about anything! Thanks for visiting my site.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, if God can speak through a donkey, He can speak any way He wants to but, as you said, we have to open to receive the message. Appreciate your comment.

    ReplyDelete